SILVER & BRONZE FOR UGANDA IN TOKYO
Written by Rev Noni on August 2, 2021
Two Ugandan runners Joshua Cheptegei and Jacob Kiplimo bagged silver and bronze medals respectively during the men’s 10000m final during the second session of the first day of athletics at the ongoing Olympics games in Tokyo.
In the race on Friday afternoon, Ethiopia’s Seleman Barega who won gold clocked 27:43.22 to beat Cheptegei who posted a time of 27:43.63 whereas another Ugandan, Jacob Kiplimo came third with 27:43.88.
The two runners ensured Uganda bagged its first two medals in the ongoing Olympics games in Tokyo, the Japanese capital bringing the total number of Ugandan Olympic medalists to 8 with Stephen Kiprotich (2012) and John Akii-Bua (1972) being the only Olympic gold medalists to Uganda has ever had.
The full list of 🇺🇬Uganda’s Olympic medalists:
– Joshua Cheptegei (silver) in the men’s 10,000m (athletics) at 2020 Tokyo
– Jacob Kiplimo (bronze) in the men’s 10,000m (athletics) at 2020 Tokyo
– Stephen Kiprotich (gold) in the men’s marathon (athletics) at 2012 London
– Davis Kamoga (bronze) in the men’s 400m (athletics) at 1996 Atlanta
– John Mugabi (silver) in the men’s welterweight (boxing) at 1980 Moscow
– Leo Rwabwogo (silver) in the men’s flyweight (boxing) at 1972 Munich
– John Akii-Bua (gold) in the men’s 400m hurdles (athletics) at 1972 Munich
– Leo Rwabwogo (bronze) in the men’s flyweight (boxing) at 1968 Mexico City
– Eridadi Mukwanga (silver) in the men’s bantamweight (boxing) at 1968 Mexico City